Crown Primary School serves part of Inverness city centre. The roll is 359, including 48 children in the nursery class. There are currently 12 mainstream classes in the school and two nursery classes. There are twenty teaching and six nursery staff. The proportion of pupils who were entitled to free school meals is well below the national average. Pupils’ attendance is in line with the national average. In the last few years the proportion of pupils for whom English was an additional language (EAL) has significantly increased and is now equivalent to 10% of the roll.
On an Historical Note…
Crown Primary School can claim direct links with two of the earliest centres of education in the Royal Burgh of Inverness; Raining’s School and Farraline Park School.
Raining’s School, originally housed in the Dunbar Centre, was provided with new premises situated at the end of Ardconnel Street (at the top of Raining’s Stairs) in 1757. In 1894 it was absorbed into the High School. The present main building of Crown Primary School was built in 1879 as the then High School in response to the education for all philosophy initiated by the Education (Scotland) Act of 1872. The secondary department moved to its present site on Montague Row in 1937. Farraline Park School and the primary department of the High School then amalgamated to form the present Crown School which traces its true origins from that date. Farraline Park School, also known as Dr Bell’s Institution, occupied the building now used by the library in Farraline Park (also known as Bell’s Park).
Plans for a new early years annexe for Crown Primary School date back to 1957 but the pressure upon the Education Authority to provide schools in an expanding area meant that it was 1981 before the building was actually completed by the then new Authority, Highland Regional Council. Refurbishment of the main building was completed in April 1986.
A purpose built nursery for four-year-olds was opened in December 2002. An all-weather pitch was opened in August 2003 and a Community Garden in 2011.